• Be sure to include Kelly in your process! She’s here to help and she wants you to look your best! She’s had a lot of experience and knows what looks great in photos. Ask for ideas, text her pictures, and communicate what you’re struggling with.
• Think about your location and the time of the year. Try not to clash your clothing with the season and location. For example, for a fall session you wouldn’t want to wear tank tops and shorts and brighter colors. Instead you will want to wear cozy sweaters, boots, and warmer tones.
• Wear clothing that flatters you and make you feel great!
• Avoid fluorescent colors - they can cast undesirable colors on your skin and hair. Versions and different shades of primary colors are typically best.
• Take the extra time to make sure clothing is clean, ironed, and looking it’s best.
• Try to keep jewelry on the simpler side. Avoid wearing heavy jewelry around your face.
Tips for Family Sessions:
• Often times, it’s best to start with mom’s outfit and go from there. It’s important for mom to look and feel amazing so she’ll love the photos!
• Outfits should coordinate, not match. If you are struggling to put something together then my suggestion is to pick 2 to 3 colors and have those colors and shades of those colors coordinate throughout everyone's outfits.
• Often times, colors that are more muted look best in photos. For example, instead of a bright pink or yellow dress for your daughter, find something in a dusty rose or a soft mustard yellow.
• If you are buying new clothes for the session, make sure you buy items that will fit right now. Example – It’s tempting to buy our kids new clothing in the size they’ll be ready for in a few months. Avoid doing this and buy the size that will fit them best now.
• Make sure that the clothing you choose for your children is something they’ll be comfortable in.
• To make things a little more interesting, try mixing textures and patterns and layering clothing.
NEED MORE IDEAS?
Check out more ideas on Kelly's "What to Wear for Family Portraits" pinterest board.